Weight Loss Diet
What to include in a healthy diet
• A balanced plate should contain ½ vegetables, ¼ whole grain carbohydrate and ¼ protein.
• Vegetables: minimum 4 servings, ideally 10 servings daily. Assure a rainbow of colors is eaten daily, emphasizing leafy greens (spinach, kale, collard, broccoli, chard). 1 serving = 1 cup raw. Steamed or lightly sautéed is best, add spices.
• Whole Fruits: 2-3 servings daily, emphasizing berries, apples, pears.
• Whole Grains: brown & wild rice, slow cooking oats, barely, quinoa, wheatberries, whole wheat, buckwheat (soba) or rice pasta, amaranth, teff, tapioca
• Beans, Lentils & Legumes (e.g. chickpeas)
• Eggs, Chicken & Turkey , organic sources whenever possible
• Tofu- see tips below
• Good Fats & Oils (e.g. olive, flax seed oil), some canola oil
• Fish: 3-5 servings per week, preferably fresh or frozen.
• Raw Nuts and Seeds: flax, pumpkin, sunflower, sesame (no peanuts)
• Herbs & Spices: to add flavour, variety, therapeutic, health benefits. Easy favourites are cinnamon, curry powder, mint, oregano, basil
• Raw garlic: used in salad dressings, tossed into pastas, added to dips, etc
• Small amounts of natural sweeteners such as honey, Stevia, maple syrup, brown rice syrup, molasses. Cane sugar in minimal amounts.
What to remove from your diet
• Instant & Fast Foods
• Processed Meats (high in nitrates and additives)
• Store-bought salad dressings (high in fat- best to use homemade, a
• White Flour & products made with it
• Creams, Processed Cheese
• Hydrogenated Oils (e.g. margarine)
• Low fat or Reduced Calorie foods (usually contain very high sugar or salt)
• White Sugar, brown sugar, syrup, artificial sweeteners (aspartame, splenda), high fructose corn syrup, and caution with "No Sugar Added”
• Sweetened Juices, soft Drinks, alcohol, powdered/ mixed beverages
• High amounts of canned goods
Many food labels claim to be healthy but in reality are not. As a gen
eral rule, the closer and ingredient is to the beginning of the ingredient list, the higher its content in the food. Also, avoid products with multiple types of oils or sugars in the ingredient list. Avoid foods with hydrogenated oil of any kind, high fructose corn syrup, and MSG.
The Naturopathic 16 Week Weight Loss Program